Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Day 19

Today, I tried pushing on to the next level with both tricks, & Pickles rose to the occasion!

She was picking up the tubetato with good consistency when we started training, so I went ahead & moved to the next step: changing my position from kneeling right next to the tubetato to standing a few feet from it, & giving her a reward near me instead of tossing it randomly. The idea is that even though she is dropping the tubetato before coming to get the treat right now, eventually she will hang on to it for an extra beat as she turns to come to me, and that's the behavior that I will click for & build on. She was a little thrown off by this change, but figured out what to do. I was thrown off, too -- it's harder to see what she's doing over there, so my timing was a little screwy. More practice!

If it's interesting or useful information, I am basing this part of my training plan on the one Jean Donaldson lays out step by step in Train Your Dog Like A Pro. This is my favorite training book -- it's incredibly clear, concrete, and systematic. Which is how I learn best. :)  The DVD it comes with is very helpful, as well. I would definitely recommend this to anyone interested in teaching their dog how to do things.

As for the Secret Vincenzo Trick, of course I can't say what new step we moved on to. I will just say cryptically that today I started fading the lure...

Today's Pickles Photo is another of Erika's:

Pickles in motion!

She doesn't roll around on her back in front of just anyone, so she must really like this new friend of hers!

Next steps: keep working at this level, and wait for Old Pickles to do something magical!

Please help us get to 90% of our goal! Just $20 will do it! Please click here to donate to support our project and the vital services that Lyon-Martin provides! Thank you!

1 comment:

  1. Go Dr. P, go!
    So showing off her belly is a sign of love. What does it mean of she takes a nap on the couch with someone? Like, say, me? Because she did. So she must love me, right? Right?!

    ReplyDelete